From the Studio
As I’ve been settling in here at Batdorff Photography, I’m realizing how different things are in the photography world than in the healthcare world. As a nurse, the idea was always to get as much as possible squeezed into as little time as possible, while always trying to be three places at once. Here in the photography world, I’m learning that the value lies in the details, in the small stuff, in everything being artfully, thoughtfully created while still managing your time.
I’m also learning how little I know about the business end of things. You see, in my relationship with John, he has always been the business guy. It may be unusual for business types to also be art types, but he’s an unusual guy, what can I say? But part of my duties here at the studio are to run the business end of things so that he can continue working on his photography and working with all of you. I’m here to make it all work seamlessly together. We had started the studio off using Quickbooks like many other businesses, but we found it to be overkill for an operation of our size. Moreover, as we moved into payroll we wanted something that would be easy to manage. Thankfully we found a system to meet our needs that was built for small houses just like us.
The system we use is called Wave Apps. It’s free for invoicing and general accounting, but there is a small fee to use the payroll. John is a big believer in sharing the products we use and love. We aren't sharing because we are paid to, we're sharing because we want to. While accounting isn't glamorous, it's essential to running a good business, so we hope you'll enjoy our thoughts on this product that we use every day.
Top 8 things we like about Wave Apps:
1. The invoicing is super easy and very customizable with email delivery.
2. You can see when your invoice has been delivered, viewed, and paid for by your customer.
3. Invoices can be paid via credit card, or you can manually enter them if your customer pays using a check or cash.
4. WaveApps accounts helps us keep track of our expenditures and income. We can track our workshop income, travel expenses, utilities, and camera equipment purchases (Hey John, why is THAT line item so LARGE???).
5. Wave even provides a weekly email update to let us know how our cashflow is doing by providing a snapshot of income versus expenses.
6. Wave sends promotions on a regular basis from partners that include free services and discounts that every startup business would love.
7. You can schedule recurring invoices so that you can offer your customers payment plans, or create any type of recurrent payment.
8. If you download the Wave phone app you can take photos of all of your receipts to safely store them away and organize them for when you need them.
I have to say, this system is not only intuitive — it’s powerful. Making a career change is difficult, but it’s programs like this that make it so much easier. I hope to be able to share some other business stuff from the perspective of the Studio with you every so often here on the blog.